- Corporate Learning
- The Hub
- Upcoming Events
- Free Resources
- About CMC
- Why Choose CMC
- Our 50th Anniversary
- Our Team
- AMA Global Network
- CMC Awards
- Our Facilitators
- Privacy Statement
- Room Rental Information
- National Locations
- Our Accessibility (AODA) Customer Service Policy
- In the News
- Training Options
- Contest Winners
- Corporate Citizenship
Rob Smith, PMP
Personal Training & Development Philosophy
When presenting a training seminar, my guiding principal is that learning should be fun. I believe that even complex subject matter can be presented in a manner that positively reinforces the act of acquiring new knowledge and skills. This, in turn, leads toward a positive attitude to the subject matter being covered and so increases the likelihood of its rapid and effective application. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly in today’s business environment, it also leads to a positive attitude toward the act of learning. Everybody has the ability to grow and change. It’s the teacher’s job to help students identify and achieve their career goals. One of the most rewarding comments I’ve received from a learner? “You’ve helped me realize what I can do.”
Rob has been a member of our faculty since 1994, and has assisted over 3,000 students for dozens of organizations worldwide. He leads many of our Project Management and other related courses and is able to relate complex subject matter in such a way as to make it easily understood and applied by his students. His background enables him to provide many relevant examples of the skills and concepts he presents, which enables students to improve their effectiveness immediately.
Rob has over 20 years of experience with information systems, technical consulting, staff development and project management. His early experience concentrated on application systems and project management systems in the international banking field.
- Rob worked on the design and implementation of the co-ordinated SDLC (systems development life-cycle) for the Bank of America/Royal Bank of Canada consortium.
- As a systems architect and project manager, Rob lead projects to develop and implement systems in Argentina, Columbia, Puerto Rico, Barbados and the Cayman Islands. These projects included not just the design and development of application software, but also co-ordination efforts with architects, facility engineers and construction contractors to ensure that the buildings were built or refurbished to house necessary staff, hardware and telecommunications equipment.
- Rob’s more recent experience focuses on organizational development issues, particularly in training and developing “technical” managers and creating and sustaining high performance project teams. He has undertaken independent research in these areas, concentrating in the area of emerging technologies.
Much of Rob’s current consulting activity is in helping organizations establish Project/Program Management Offices and mentoring people in the application of project management best practices. He additionally provides coaching services to assist project managers in preparing for the Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam.
Rob is PMP certified by the Project Management Institute. He pursued his graduate studies at the University of Michigan’s School of Business.
Recent clients include: IBM, Ogilvy-Mather, Government of Ontario/Ministry of Health, Dolby Laboratories, GO Transit, State of New Jersey/Department of Labor, Government of Canada/Ministry of Defence/Law Enforcement organizations, Lexmark, Altana Pharmaceuticals, Red Cross, DHL, U.S. Airforce, U.S. Army, and South East Pennsylvania Transit Authority.
Articles And podcasts
- PODCAST: Improve Your Project Management Skills - Tips on Developing Your Human Resources Estimates
- WEBINAR: Project Management: A Guide for the Real World – Project Closing
- WEBINAR: Project Management: A Guide for the Real World – Project Monitoring & Controlling
- WEBINAR: Project Management: A Guide for the Real World – Risk Management
- WEBINAR: Project Management: A Guide for the Real World – Time Management
" Rob was a very experienced instructor for detailed project management with hands-on knowledge for the PMP exam. "
" Rob was very knowledgeable about the subject. His knowledge allowed him to go into detail on many of the topics. "