AMA Certified Professional in Management™ (AMA-CPM™) is the new standard for management excellence. Find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions, important dates and fees below.
- May 3 - June 15, 2021
- Aug. 2 - September 15, 2021
- November 1 - December 15, 2021
|Exam Fee||$450 USD|
|Application Processing Fee||$50 USD – Non-refundable|
|Re-exam Fee||$350 USD|
|Recertification Application Fee||$100 USD – Every three years|
|Recertification Late Fee||$150 USD – There will be a 4-week extension if someone is late. The fee for late recertification is $150 USD. Past the 4-week extension, the credential will expire, and people will need to retest if they want the credential again.|
|Certificate Reprint Fee||$35 USD – First certificate is free|
|Refund of Exam||Full $450 USD – If outside the 24-hour period before test appointment|
|Practice Exam||$25 USD|
|The Management Body of Knowledge|
|Course Savings Pass (CSP) Redemption||Customers can use CSP coupons for the Exam Prep Course. CSP coupons cannot be used for The Management Body of Knowledge or application fees or exam fees.|
|Annual Saving Pass Redemption||Customers can use their Annual Savings Pass for the Exam Prep Course but cannot be used for The Management Body of Knowledge or application fees or exam fees.|
What is a Certified Professional in Management?
A Certified Professional in Management is a professional accreditation program designed to verify an individual's ability to manage others and lead within an organization.
Why did AMA create this certification?
As a leader in management training and education, AMA developed management competencies and a certification program in professional management to improve performance excellence.
- Our mission is to create a standard of excellence in management.
- Our vision is to improve society by helping individuals and organizations achieve performance excellence through management certification.
In order to accomplish this mission and vision, AMA has created eligibility requirements; a fair, valid and reliable examination; and ongoing maintenance of recertification requirements through which candidates can demonstrate their management competencies.
Who is the audience for the certification?
The ideal target audience is early to mid-level managers. A few possible audiences:
- One with no management experience who wants the certification to support promotional opportunities in the future
- One who recently became a manager and wants the certification to demonstrate that they have met the credential’s standards
- One with management experience who wants the certification to demonstrate that they have met the credential’s standards
Managers are defined as anyone who manages people and process, so they may hold a title of team leader, supervisor, manager, assistant manager, etc., within their organization.
What are the benefits to the individual?
Those who possess the AMA Certified Professional in Management™ credential communicate that they have met the credential’s standards and bring value to business and industry, employers and supervisors, other professionals and the public.
Attaining the credential may give certified professionals a competitive edge over other colleagues and applicants for the same job.
Those who have the credential will be able to show current and future employers that they have met a standard that exemplifies critical knowledge, skills and abilities needed for professional managers – including in areas related to professional effectiveness, relationship management, business acumen and analytical intelligence.
What are the benefits to the employer and/or organization to have certified managers?
Organizations hire employees with various certifications–project management, human resources, IT, etc. The reasons why organizations would want certified managers include:
- Increased level of assurance that managers holding the designation have a better quality of skills and knowledge of management than those who do not.
- Organizations can rely on the certification and recertification process to address skill gaps in their management population and ensure continuous development.
- In general, people do not leave jobs, they leave managers. The certification will ensure managers have the skills and knowledge to increase productivity and create a positive work environment.
- The standard in management includes competencies in the 4 domains of effective management–Professional Effectiveness, Relationship Management, Business Acumen and Analytical Intelligence. Developing competence in these 4 areas will increase organizational performance.
- Client and investors may have greater confidence in how the business is managed.
How was the certification developed?
AMA and ACT conducted a job task analysis for the role of the manager. A draft description of a competent manager was developed and validated and aligned to the structure of the AMA Total Professional℠ at the manager level. The competencies for a manager are in four areas: professional effectiveness, relationship management, business acumen, and analytical intelligence. The Management Body of Knowledge includes detailed information on each competency within each area.
What are the requirements for candidate to sit for the exam or pathways to eligibility?
There are multiple pathways to eligibility, each of which is based on education and professional experience:
|1||High school diploma||Minimum of 5 years of professional experience|
|2||2-year degree||Minimum of 3 years of professional experience|
|3||3-year degree (or higher)||Minimum of 1 year of professional experience|
- serving as an active contributing team member
- serving as a team lead
- having responsibility for organizing other team members
- driving and motivating team members
- acting as an influencer or “go to” person without title authority
- managing one or multiple direct reports with or without title authority
- possessing functional or technical expertise
Years of professional experience need not be contiguous.
What is the relationship between obtaining the certification and the prep course?
Certification is based on qualifying for and passing the exam. The prep course or any other course providing Professional Management Units (PMUs) are optional. The candidate can choose to take the exam without preparation, but this is not advised. CMC provides a prep course that includes The Management Body of Knowledge to help prepare the candidate. Additional registered educational providers (REPs) will be available soon.
What options are available to prepare for the exam?
In order to get the certification, we recommend that you:
- Download the candidate handbook and test specifications
- Check to make sure you meet the eligibility requirements
- Study from the recommended resources
- Take a practice exam
You may also find it helpful to enroll in a Certified Professional in Management Exam Prep Course.
What courses need to be taken?
There are no formal courses or study requirements to take the exam. However, a candidate should consider attending a course to solidify their knowledge related to essential competencies for managers. Courses that are offering exam study materials can be obtained from this website and includes the Certified Professional in Management Exam Prep Course. This course follows the topics in The Management Body of Knowledge and is generally aligned to the content of the test.
Is there a book from which to study?
The Management Body of Knowledge has been written by a group of subject matter expert and is aligned with various parts of the test content outline. In addition, there are resources listed in the candidate handbook.
Is there a practice exam available?
Yes, you can purchase the practice exam online through the PSI.
What are the key topics I need to know to pass the exam?
The exam is aligned to the AMA Standard in Management™ at the manager level and follows the topics listed in the content outline or test specifications. The AMA Standard in Management includes key competencies and tasks associated with four areas: Professional Effectiveness, Relationship Management, Business Acumen, and Analytical Intelligence.
The examination is organized as follows:
Is the credential held by the individual or the employer/company?
The credential is held by the individual and will follow the individual throughout their career as long as they maintain their credential.
How many questions will be on the exam?
The exam is comprised of 175 single response, multiple choice questions designed to assess the applicant’s knowledge and skills in performing managerial tasks.
How much time is allotted to take the exam?
The exam itself is 3.5-hours. In addition, there is an optional tutorial before the exam and a post-test survey making the actual seating time 4 hours.
Who is PSI and what do they provide for certification?
PSI provides the actual testing centers where candidates will go to take a proctored exam. The candidate will need to bring a valid driver’s license or other government issued ID to the testing center for identification purposes.
Does the test happen during the exam prep course?
No; the exam is administered online, separately, at a PSI testing center. The examination required for certification is NOT part of any course.
After your application is approved and you receive an authorization, you can schedule your exam online. You must schedule your exam before arriving at a PSI test center.
Is the exam something to be scheduled for a later date?
You may decide to schedule your examination to occur within the next testing window that follows the completion of your study. Check the website for the dates of the scheduled testing windows and coordinate your preparation with the scheduled testing windows.
Are the exam available online due to Covid-19 restrictions?
Yes, remote proctoring is available.
What Covid-19 safety protocols are in place at the exam centers?
Information about PSI's safety protocols are available here.
If I fail the exam, can I repeat the prep course?
The CMC prep course is guaranteed so if you do not pass you can take another prep course at no additional charge.
How many times can I take the exam, and when can I retake it?
Three times within your one-year eligibility period, but one time within one testing window. The eligibility period starts once your application is approved.
What happens if I took the exam three times and still failed?
You will need to start the process over and re-apply to take the exam after your current eligibility period expires.
Are there fees to take the exam?
Yes, there are two fees associated with earning the certification–the $50.00 non-refundable application fee and the $450 USD examination fee.
If I fail, how much does it cost to take the exam again?
The fee to take the exam again is $350 USD.
Where do people go to sit for the exam (who are the testing providers)?
At any PSI testing center. Once you receive your authorization to test letter and start the process of scheduling your test you will be able to locate a PSI test center that is convenient to you. You will not be able to search for a test location before you receive your authorization to test.
For how long is one certified?
The certification expires 3 years after it is attained unless continuing education requirements, called Professional Management Units (PMUs), are maintained.
Will there be some sort of icon or badge for clients on LinkedIn?
Candidates will earn the right to place CPM after their names on business cards and signatures. Successful candidates will also be sent a link to a time-limited, digital representation of the credential that describes the knowledge and skills required to earn the certification.
Post Certification: Maintaining the Credential
What are the parameters around maintaining certification? Is AMA the only organization that is going to be offering programs or credits to for recertification?
Certificate holders will have to renew their certification every 3 years through attaining 60 Professional Management Units (PMUs) through education and professional development activities.
Recertification credits will be accepted from AMA approved education providers who have been selected to provide a wide range of high-quality courses, webinars, seminars and workshops that will satisfy the intellectual curiosity of all credential holders.
Education - 32 PMU Minimum: 1 hour = 1 PMU
- 3 PMUs Minimum in the area of: Professional Effectiveness
- 3 PMUs Minimum in the area of: Relationship Management
- 3 PMUs Minimum in the area of: Business Acumen
- 3 PMUs Minimum in the area of: Analytical Intelligence
Education can be:
- Formal – classroom or seminar (Evidence for audit – certificate of completion, transcript or badge)
- Informal – self education through reading or attending informal venues such as a ‘lunch and learns’ (Evidence for audit – notes and dates of education)
Advancing the Profession – 28 PMU Maximum: 1 hour = 1 PMU
- 8 PMUs Maximum Working
- 20 PMUs Maximum Volunteering or Creating/Presenting Content
Work is defined as:
- Serving as an active contributing team member
- Serving as a team lead
- Having responsibility for organizing other team members
- Driving and motivating team members
- Acting as an influencer or “go to” person without title authority
- Managing one or multiple direct reports
- Possessing functional or technical expertise
(Evidence for audit – Attestation providing evidence of employment for at least one year during the time you hold your credential)
Volunteering is defined as:
Participating in the development and maintenance of the CPM certification program:
(Evidence for audit – attendance)
- 2-day meeting: 16 PMUs
- 1-day meeting: 8 PMUs
- 1 - 2-hour conference call: 2 PMUs
- Certification Steering Committee: 20 PMUs (includes meetings and conference calls)
- Advisory Board Committee: 20 PMUs (includes meetings and conference calls)
Creating or Presenting Content:
(Evidence for audit – copy of presentation, publication and/or course curriculum)
- 5 PMUs preparing for and presenting in an informal venue such as a ‘lunch and learn’
- 10 PMUs for preparing and presenting a presentation at a conference
- 15 PMUs for preparing and publishing a peer-reviewed professional journal article
- 20 PMUs preparing and presenting a college course on management
- 20 PMUs for writing a chapter on management for an edited volume
What are the continuing education units called?
Continuing education units specific to the AMA Certified Professional in Management™ (AMA-CPM™) certification are called Professional Management Units, or PMUs.